April 13, 2024 | Nebo, NC
The Lake James 7 Miler & 5k races start and finish at Fonta Flora’s charming Whippoorwill Farm in Nebo, NC and take runners on the beautiful trails of Lake James State Park. With stunning views and light rolling hills, both courses are perfect for either a trail beginner or a seasoned runner.
The 7 Miler starts at 9AM and the 5k starts at 9:15AM. Both courses start with a loop around the Fonta Flora field to spread out runners before entering the trail. Both races are chip timed and are rain or shine. There is a 2 hour course aid time limit. Dogs and strollers are not allowed for both races, but are welcome to stay back at the brewery!
Runners will receive a commemorative race t shirt, custom bib and Finisher medal included in their registration. Enjoy a beer on us! A Fonta Flora beer is included in registration for those 21+ at the Orchard Bar. Must be able to provide a valid ID. This race proudly supports the Lake James Environmental Association.
Race T Shirt
A commemorative race t shirt is included in race registration. Must register before 3/27 to guarantee sizing.
Non Profit Partner
Lake James Environmental Association’s mission is to protect and enhance the long-term environmental health and natural beauty of Lake James and its watershed. The Lake James 7 Miler & 5k proudly supports LJEA.
As a part of our Start Running & Keep Running initiative runners 17 & under / 65 & over receive a 10% discount automatically at check out.
Registration fee increases:
8/1/23 thru 11/23/24 -> 7 Miler $50 | 5k $35
11/24/23 thru 2/12/24 -> 7 Miler $55 | 5k $40
2/13/24 thru 4/12/24 -> 7 Miler $65 | 5k $50
Early Packet Pick Up 4/12/24
4-6PM at Mountain Running Company – 106 W State St, Black Mountain, NC
Race Day 4/13/24 at Fonta Flora Whippoorwill Farm
8-9AM Packet Pick Up
9AM 7 Miler Race Start
9:15AM 5k Race Start
10AM Tentative 5k Awards & Orchid Bar Open
10:15AM Tentative 7 Miler Awards
A Custom Award & gift card to Mountain Running Company for the
Top 3 Male & Female
Top Male & Female Masters (40+)
Top Male & Female Grand Masters (50+)
Fonta Flora pint glasses for Age Group awards will be given out to the top 3 male and female times in the following categories.
19 & Under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80 & Up.
7 Miler Course Map
7 Mile Course Description
Runners will start by looping the Fonta Flora Brewery field to spread out the group before entering the single track trail. After ~1.2 miles, runners will cross over the Lake James State Park road with aid from course marshals and enter Paddy’s Creek Trail. Roads will not be closed so pay attention to vehicles.
At ~2 miles, runners will veer left to follow Mills Creek Trail and cross the Lake James State Park Road with aid from course marshals a ~2.5 miles. Roads will not be closed so pay attention to vehicles. The trail will drop into the beach portion at ~4.7 miles where there will be an aid station.
Runners will follow signage to Paddy’s Creek trail and continue straight until Lake James State Park road. Runners will cross road with aid station course marshals and turn left onto Over Mountain Victory Trail. At ~7.3 miles the trail will end at Fonta Flora Brewery. A sharp right, sharp left will lead to the finish line. The gravel road to the runner parking will not be closed, please pay attention to vehicles. There is a 2 hour course aid limit.
5k Course Map
5k Course Description
Runners will start by looping the Fonta Flora Brewery field to spread out the group before entering the single track Overmountain Victory Trail. After ~1.2 miles, runners will turn left into Paddys Creek parking lot and entering the Discovery Trail Loop. The course turns right and follows the Discovery loop, a single track gravel trail for ~1 mile. There will be an aid station at this parking lot.
After the Discovery loop, runners will leave the Paddys Creek parking lot and turn right back to follow the Overmountain Victory Trail. At ~3 miles the trail will end at Fonta Flora Brewery. A sharp right, sharp left will lead to the finish line. The gravel road to the runner parking will not be closed, please pay attention to vehicles.
Runner parking is located to the right of Fonta Flora Brewing in 2 large gravel lots. Fonta Flora’s main parking lot will be closed to runners. Please follow direction from signage and parking volunteers.
The road to the runner parking lots will be temporarily closed to vehicle traffic at 8:55AM and be opened only when the races have started and runners have cleared the road.
The Lake James 7 Miler & 5k, and Kick It Events have a no refund policy.
- Adding on the Race Roster Enhanced Refund Protection Program is an enhanced refund service provided by Race Roster outside of Kick It Events and you are subject to the Protect Terms and Conditions. Please read them carefully before purchasing.
- No refunds will be given if you signed up for this race by accident. Double check the city, date and time BEFORE registering.
- If you can’t make it to the race and want your race swag mailed to you, you will be required to pay the shipping cost for your race bib and race swag.
- In the event of inclement weather, the event will be postponed at the race directors discretion. There will be NO REFUNDS if the event needs to be postponed.
- Inclement weather determination is at the discretion of the race directors. We are looking for dangerous conditions for our runners and volunteers.
- The postponement announcement will be made as early as we can. If there is surprise weather we reserve the right to postpone the race up until race morning. The latest announcement will be made at 5am race morning.
- If the event needs to be canceled due to a global pandemic or health emergency, there will be no refund. We will do our best to convert the event into a virtual event or other form of socially distanced race.
- Race postponement will be emailed out to runners using the email used during registration, posted on the race website as well as posted on our social media platforms.
Race updates will be sent to the email address you registered with. Always make sure that your email is correct. In the event that the postponement date needs to be canceled, there will not be another postponement and there will not be any refunds.
If you wish to move to a virtual runner, you will be required to pay the shipping cost for your race bib and race swag.